Accommodation in Masai Mara
Governors’ Camp is situated on the banks of the Mara River in the west of the Masai Mara Game Reserve. Created in 1972, it set new standards in luxury as a tented camp, putting particular emphasis on comfort and service, complimented by the sort of good food, which would have been impossible in the bygone days of the grand safari. Maintaining these unique qualities as a tradition, the camp has been refined and improved through the years.
Governors Camp have taken special care to preserve an atmosphere in which today’s traveler can share the same elemental landscape that inspired Hemingway and magnetized adventurers the world over.
The site and size of a safari camp is critical to its vitality. Governors’ Camp, with its 37 tents set amongst the trees along the Mara river, also has unrivalled views over the plains and is visited and revisited by guests who find its continued excellence, personal style and family feeling quietly reassuring.
Governors Camp privately located Justus Suite is perfect for honeymoon couples, as is tent 37 which has incredible views over the Mara plains and its wildlife. We have recently introduced family suites so that families of up to 5 persons can be comfortably accommodated in the same tent.
The Masai Mara is a unique area with a constant and unrivalled flow of wildlife throughout the year. From July to October the Mara becomes a backdrop for one of the last great natural wonders of the world, when 1.5 million wildebeest and zebra surge up from the Serengeti plains in their annual search for the seasonal grasses that sustain them. The spectacle as the vast herds cross rivers and sweep through the golden grasses, is punctuated by individual struggles with the predators, which are in turn drawn to take their part in this dramatic event. Whilst the migration is spectacular, game viewing at all other times of the year remains almost unrivalled anywhere in Africa.
There are various activities on offer: game viewing in open custom built 4 wheel drive vehicles and balloon flights over the wide plains of the Masai Mara. Flying Safaris to Lake Victoria are also on offer. However, we recommend booking these excursions well in advance and combining the Lake Victoria trip with an overnight stay at Mfangano Island Camp. All meals, three game viewing excursions daily as well as laundry are included in our price. Park entrance fees, drinks as well as other activities (such as ballooning, flying safaris to Lake Victoria, a visit to a Masai village) are to be paid separately. Please let us know special dietary requirements in advance.
Governors Camp Masai Mara Facilities
All guest facilities are under canvas and keep the authentic, traditional safari atmosphere. All guest tents at Governors Camp have en-suite bathrooms with shower and basin, running cold and hot water as well as a flush toilet. Electric lights are used for lighting.
- Facilities: En-suite bathrooms with shower, basin, flush toilet and hot and cold running water
- Governors Camp Tents: Spacious luxurious safari tents entirely under canvas, each with private verandah
- Electricity: Electric lights in tents and socket for charging, phones, laptop, tablet and camera
220 Volt plugs at reception
- Bar / Restaurant: Open bar and dining tent with view over the Mara River and the open plains of
the Masai Mara
- Governors Camp Bush meals: Bush breakfast, lunch & dinner can be organized on request at a supplementary
- Governors Camp Souvenirs: Curio Shop is open daily
Governors Camp Masai Mara Room Types
Governors’ Camp has 37 luxury tents and is located right in the heart of the best game viewing area of the Masai Mara.The entire camp is under canvas with all of the comforts of a luxury hotel. The tents are big, bright and allow in lots of natural light. All tents have verandahs, some with views across the sweeping plains of the Masai Mara, others look over the banks of the meandering Mara River. All tents are classic safari style each with en-suite bathrooms and a private verandah.
Foods & Drinks options at Governors Camp Masai Mara
Breakfast is a continental and full English buffet. Lunch is served as a buffet with fresh salads al fresco and dinner is a la carte in the dining tent. Picnics / packed meals can be provided for those who would like to head out on full or half day game drives. Bush meals are available to book at an extra cost. We cater for special diets on request.
The dining tent, Governors Camp campfire and the bar tent are the centre of the camp. Next to the reception is a small souvenir shop. Breakfast and lunch are served buffet style, alfresco. Dinner is served in the dining tent. For dinner the menu offers a choice of four courses, including a choice of main courses.
A traditional campfire is lit at sunset every evening and after dinner clients enjoy sitting around the
campfire, reminiscing about their safari in its evocative light
Activities at Governors Camp Masai Mara
- Culture: Visits to a nearby Masai village (manyatta) can be arranged (to be paid locally) or visits to the local school, one of Governors’ Camps charity and community support initiatives
- Mfangano Island Camp on Lake Victoria: Day excursions to Lake Victoria by light aircraft. Bird watching, boat rides, walking and fishing are available on Lake Victoria. Excursion with overnight at Mfangano Island Camp highly recommended (booking prior to the trip is advisable) (Additional cost)
- Game viewing Excursions: 3 game viewing excursions per day, early and mid morning as well as the afternoon with experienced driver guides in the Masai Mara Game Reserve (included in the price)
- Balloon Safari: With professional balloon pilots daily, at dawn, in the Masai Mara Game Reserve followed by a champagne bush breakfast and game viewing on return to camp (Extra cost).